GRANDMA VARGA’S HUNGARIAN CUCUMBER SALAD (UBORKASALATA)
Recipe by Anthony Gougoutris
8medium cucumbers or 15 kirby cucumbers, peeled
1⁄4cup finely chopped fresh dill
1⁄4cup kosher salt
1⁄2pint sour cream
2tablespoons white vinegar
2garlic cloves, minced
1teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Slice cucumbers very thinly, preferably using a mandolin.
- Take a colander, put in a small layer of cucumbers, then sprinkle with a small amount of the salt.
- Continue this method until all the salt and cucumbers are used up.
- Cover the cucumbers with a plate inside the colander, and put a very heavy weight on top.
- Make sure the colander is in a large bowl, because the cucumbers will lose alot of water.
- Let them sit for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, chop the dill and finely mince the garlic, put aside.
- After 1 hour, take a handful of cucumbers, and squeeze out as much juice as you can, and continue until they are all done.
- Rinse thoroughly with water, drain well.
- After the cucumbers are done, return to the colander, and weight down one more time for about 15 minutes.
- You do not have to squeeze out the juice again with your hands Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, except the paprika.
- After mixing thoroughly, put in a nice serving dish, and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.