My granny’s holiday desserts had no shortage of green and red maraschino cherries. True, they were a garnish of the times, but I also think she just really enjoyed them. As a kid, I was always fascinated by how clear and bright they looked even after they were baked. Whenever I put a slice of fruit cake on my plate, it was like looking into a kaleidoscope.
- 2 cups (475 ml) Southern Comfort Original whiskey
- 2 cups (475 ml) bourbon
- 2 cups (475 ml) Grand Marnier
- 4 cups cold ginger beer, divided
- 1 cup (238 ml) amaretto
- 1/2 cup syrup from maraschino or brandied cherries
- 6 dashes Angostura or orange bitters
- 1 medium orange
- 8 maraschino or brandied cherries, plus more for serving
- Candied ginger, for garnish (optional)
Place 2 cups Southern Comfort whiskey, 2 cups bourbon, 2 cups Grand Marnier, 2 cups of the cold ginger beer, 1 cup amaretto, 1/2 cup syrup from maraschino or brandied cherries, and 6 dashes Angostura or orange bitters in a 10-cup or larger pitcher. Gently stir to combine.
Halve and thinly slice 1 medium orange. Add a handful of the orange slices and 8 maraschino or brandied cherries.
To serve, fill a 10- or 12-ounce glass (such as an old-fashioned glass) halfway with ice. Add 3/4 cup of the punch and top with more cold ginger beer. Garnish with a maraschino or brandied cherry, orange slice, and a small piece of candied ginger if desired.