This Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef recipe is guaranteed to be the highlight of taco Tuesdays!
Serve this fork-tender, smoky, spicy beef in a burrito bowl or on a tortilla!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 lb chuck roast, cut into chunks
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 Tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- corn tortillas, cilantro-lime rice, cheese, guacamole, salsa, lettuce
- Turn the Instant Pot on “saute” and add about 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the bottom of the pot. Cook chuck roast for several minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Remove from pot.
- While on saute, add in beef broth and scrape the bits of meat off the bottom of the pan. This is called “deglazing.” This will ensure you do not receive the “burn notice.” Turn off.
- Add the pressed garlic, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, chipotle in adobo sauce, cumin, onion powder, oregano, cloves, salt, and pepper to the beef broth in the pot. Give a quick stir.
- Add the browned chuck roast to the mixture.
- Secure the lid and make sure the valve is turned to sealing.
- Select “high pressure” and cook time of 60 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure before counting down the cooking time.
- When the cooking time ends, allow it naturally release for 10 minutes (this means leave it alone)! After ten minutes, do a quick release of the valve and open the pressure cooker.
- Remove the meat and shred the beef on a cutting board. If you like your meat extra juicy, reserve the juices in the bottom of the instant pot to serve over the meat. Or, assemble your tacos and burrito bowls and discard the juice.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Nemo me impune lacessit