Slow-Cooker Short Ribs
Few things feel as special—and as satisfying—as a well cooked beef short rib. This version is fall-off-the-bone tender and insanely flavorful, thanks to a quick sear before slow cooking and a Korean-inspired sauce that would make anything taste good.
These are so easy to meet we have no doubt in our mind these will become a show-stopping go-to. This is also the type of dish that might even get better after a night in the fridge allowing all of the flavors to meld together. Stored in an airtight container this can last up to 5 days, but we’ll be surprised if it lasts that long.
- 2 tbsp.vegetable oil
- 5 lb.bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c.low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 c.water
- 1/4 c.packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 c.rice vinegar
- 2 tsp.sesame oil
- 1 tsp.crush red pepper flakes (optional )
- 3Carrots, medium, peeled and chopped into thirds
- 1yellow onion, large, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 5cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds, for serving
- 2green onions, thinly sliced, for serving
- Cooked short grain white rice, for serving
Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to slow cooker and pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pot.
Meanwhile, whisk soy sauce, water, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
Add carrots and onions to pan, and cook, mixing occasionally until browned. Add garlic and ginger and brown until fragrant, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and deglaze with reserved soy sauce mixture, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom. Pour this mixture into the slow cooker.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours, or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
Garnish short ribs with toasted sesame seeds and green onions. Spoon sauce over rice and serve.