Walmart worker allegedly called armed friends after shopper ‘glared’ at him — 23-year-old killed, lawsuit says

0
Walmart worker allegedly called armed friends after shopper ‘glared’ at him — 23-year-old killed, lawsuit says

According to a lawsuit, a shopper at Walmart was killed after a confrontation with a worker who called his friends to “take care” of the man. It is believed that the worker thought the man was glaring at him. The confrontation ended in gunfire near the checkout area, in which the 23-year-old shopper was killed, and an elderly man was wounded.

The incident happened on July 19, 2023. Three years later, the family of Nathaniel Baez is now suing Walmart and former worker Roberto Acevedo over the shooting at a Florida City store.

Baez was shopping with friends and a small child when the group crossed paths with Acevedo. According to the lawsuit, he was working as a digital shopper and had left his large cart in the aisle. As the group squeezed past the cart, one of Baez’s friends allegedly glared at Acevedo and muttered a curse. The filing states that Acevedo, however, took it as a threat.

Baez’s lawyer, Todd Michaels, said, “He got it in his head that these people are going to jump me. Instead of doing the one thing he was required to do, which is call your manager, he decided to call his armed friends.”

Reportedly, the lawsuit states that Acevedo went to the back of the store and called his sister. He then contacted his brother and his brother’s girlfriend, who was with Steve Lestin and Ji’mari Hodge. Lestin regularly carried a gun, while Hodge had a prior firearm possession arrest.

The two men came to the store and joined Acevedo. The group then went looking for Baez and his friends. When they approached, one of Baez’s friends was holding the child. The child was handed to another person as the groups argued.

Words were exchanged, and later the two parties threw punches. According to the filing, Lestin then pulled out a gun and opened fire. As a result, Baez was killed, and an elderly man near the checkout area was also shot.

Lestin faces charges of second-degree murder and attempted murder, while Hodge faces a battery charge and Acevedo is charged with battery.

The lawsuit says Acevedo should have followed Walmart’s rules and reported the threat to a manager or police. The filing states, “Had Acevedo simply followed his proscribed duty and notified a manager, this incident would never have occurred.”

Michaels said Walmart workers have firm “observe and report” policies. He said employees must alert a salaried manager when they see violence, threats or unusual activity. The suit also claims Acevedo had a violent past and had reported another store altercation shortly before Baez was killed.

Walmart has not made any statement since the lawsuit was filed. Speaking about the shooting, the company said it was “saddened by what happened” and that one associate had been suspended. It also said it would cooperate with police.

Original Article: Walmart Worker Allegedly Called Armed Friends After Shopper ‘Glared’ at Him — 23-Year-Old Killed, Lawsuit Says”

About Post Author

Discover more from The News Beyond Detroit

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading