Intelligence report suggests drone attacks planned by Cuba
A newly disclosed U.S. intelligence assessment warning that Cuba has acquired hundreds of military-grade drones—and has discussed potential strike scenarios against U.S. targets—has sparked an immediate backlash from prominent voices on the left, who compared the claims to the flawed intelligence leading up to the 2003 Iraq War.
The report, originally published by Axios, suggests Cuba—which the U.S. designates as a state sponsor of terrorism—has obtained more than 300 drones from Russia and Iran. While U.S. officials explicitly state they do not view Cuba as an imminent threat, the intelligence indicates Cuban officials have discussed hypothetical strike scenarios against Guantanamo Bay, U.S. naval vessels, or Key West, Florida, as a contingency plan in the event of open conflict.
Newsweek has not independently verified Axios’ reporting. When contacted for comment on Sunday, the Pentagon said it had nothing to provide.
In response to the report, the Cuban Embassy in the United Kingdom wrote on X: “@Axios fabricates a ‘drone threat’, only to confess paragraphs later: ‘US officials don’t believe Cuba is actively planning to attack.’ This contradictory disinformation is a transparent, ludicrous pretext to justify US hostility. We categorically reject these baseless smears.”
The disclosure comes amid rapidly escalating regional tensions. President Donald Trump said earlier this month the U.S. could “take over Cuba almost immediately,” suggesting a U.S. aircraft carrier could be positioned offshore once active American military operations in Iran wind down. His comments followed an executive order that sharply expanded U.S. sanctions on the Cuban government, marking one of the administration’s most aggressive steps toward Havana in years.
Sunday’s report prompted a quick response from progressive commentators and former officials who invoked the Iraq weapons of mass destruction (WMD) precedent—a comparison that signals how politically fraught any escalation with Cuba remains, given the island’s proximity to the U.S. mainland and the history of Cold War confrontation.
Inside the Intelligence: Capabilities vs. Intent
The reported drone buildup comes as Cuba faces a severe energy and humanitarian crisis following the Trump administration‘s recent intervention in Venezuela, which toppled President Nicolás Maduro and cut off Cuba’s primary source of subsidized oil. Furthermore, U.S. officials estimate that up to 5,000 Cuban mercenaries have fought for Russia in Ukraine, providing Havana with firsthand tactical knowledge of modern drone warfare.
U.S. officials believe Cuba has acquired more than 300 drones since 2023, sourced from Russia and Iran. While the hardware is reportedly stored at multiple sites across the island, a senior U.S. official told Axios that Cuba’s actual operational capabilities remain unproven, noting, “No one’s worried about fighter jets from Cuba. It’s not even clear they have one that can fly.”
Intelligence officials emphasize that the Cuban discussions regarding potential strikes on U.S. targets were framed as defense and deterrence strategies rather than an active, impending plot.
A senior U.S. official told Axios the intelligence “could become a pretext for U.S. military action” as Iranian military advisers have been present in Cuba, assisting with drone operations and training.
Meanwhile, in an X post on Sunday, the Cuban Embassy in the U.S. wrote: “Like any country, Cuba has the right to defend itself against external aggression. It is called self-defense, and it is protected by International Law and the UN Charter. Those from the US who seek the submission and, in fact, the destruction of the Cuban nation through military aggression and war, do not waste a single moment fabricating pretexts, creating and spreading falsehoods, and distorting as extraordinary the logical preparation required to face a potential aggression.”
CIA Director John Ratcliffe Visits Cuba
The intelligence disclosure follows an unannounced visit to Havana by CIA Director John Ratcliffe on Thursday. Ratcliffe reportedly delivered a blunt warning to Cuban officials against engaging in hostilities, stating that the Western Hemisphere “cannot be our adversaries’ playground.”
CBS News reported that Ratcliffe delivered a message from Trump that the U.S. is ready to engage on security and economic issues if Cuba makes fundamental changes, citing a CIA official. The Department of Justice (DOJ) declined to comment to CBS.
Critics Warn of ‘Manufacturing Consent’
The reaction from the left was swift, with commentator Hasan Piker writing on X that the report was “manufacturing consent for war,” suggesting the intelligence may be selectively framed.
In the lead‑up to the 2003 Iraq War, the Bush administration asserted Saddam Hussein possessed active chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons programs. These claims were presented as urgent, definitive, and backed by U.S. intelligence agencies.
After the invasion, the Iraq Survey Group found no stockpiles of WMDs, and many of the intelligence assessments were later shown to be deeply flawed or misrepresented.
“Cuba has never been a threat to the us,” Piker wrote. “It’s only threat was being a successful alternative. [A] country that fought & won its own sovereignty and dignity. [W]e starved them for that & never stopped.”
Former Obama senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer echoed those sentiments, writing on X: “Real Iraq War vibes here. Classified intelligence shared with reporters to sell a war to a skeptical public.”
MeidasTouch editor-in-chief Ron Filipkowski, a lifelong Republican who turned Democrat in 2021, also weighed in on the Axios report, writing on X: “Pretext for the next war, same as pretexts for the last wars. Some old story, same old song and dance.”
What Happens Next
U.S. officials have not announced any military or policy response, but the intelligence is expected to face scrutiny from Congress. Given the political sensitivity and the immediate comparisons to pre-2003 intelligence failures, lawmakers from both parties are likely to demand additional sourcing and briefings on the credibility of the data.
The administration is also expected to brief regional allies as it evaluates Cuba’s actual capacity to weaponize the drones.
–
Source: Intelligence report suggests drone attacks planned by Cuba