A seemingly hungry dog in the UK recently swallowed an entire fishing line – including the hook.
The staff at Milton Keynes Veterinary Group – an independent, family-run veterinary practice with five different locations — said a dog named Betsy was brought into her practice after a fishhook became lodged in her throat, SWNS, the British news service, reported.
Veterinarian Matthew Lloyd was able to “expertly remove the leash and sharp hook” without causing any additional harm to the animal.
According to SWNS, the incident required specialist equipment.
An X-ray of the dog’s neck showed the hook was still lodged in her esophagus, SWNS reports.
The animal’s owners only realized what had happened when they noticed fishing wire sticking out of their dog’s mouth.
Lloyd said: “Betsy was an interesting case.”
According to SWNS, he added: “Removing such a sharp hook without causing additional damage was a real challenge – and we are delighted to have achieved such a beautiful result for Betsy and her owners.”
Staff at Milton Keynes Veterinary Group describe themselves as “a highly professional, qualified and knowledgeable team of vets and nurses, supported on a daily basis by receptionists and an “experienced management team”, as the group says on its website.
“Dogs make great fishing companions, but are often attracted to shiny lures and lures.”
The veterinarians at the practice “come from diverse backgrounds and have extensive knowledge and experience in all types of surgeries, some with particular interests in ophthalmology, feline medicine, orthopedics and more,” the group notes.
DOG RECEIVES LIFE-CHANGING FACELIFT AFTER VISION CAUSES DIFFICULT EYES: ‘Looks VERY GOOD’
Additionally, “dogs make great fishing companions, but are often attracted to shiny lures and lures,” said Pet MD in an article on fishing lines and dogs.
The publication goes on to say: “We generally do not recommend attempting to remove this yourself as this can result in serious harm (to both you and your dog)!”
It was also noted that “while most dogs are good swimmers, not all are.”
Owners should know that “some dogs can drown.”
So: “Always supervise your pet while swimming outdoors.”.