Careless NY stoners poisoning other people’s dogs: It’s ‘unbelievable’
Posted For: Jackie
Sparky got lit.
An 8-month-old toy poodle named Bondi could barely walk straight after a recent stroll.
His owner, Colleen Briggs, rushed her pup to the vet, who determined the dazed and confused dog was high, the Associated Press reported.
Health care professionals determined the dog must have devoured a discarded joint that left him stoned.
More dogs are sniffing out joints and edibles in parks and on streets around New York City on the heels of legal recreational pot dispensaries opening last year. And the leisurely toke and toss is posing a grave hazard to Fido.
“He was doing his usual – exploring everything, sniffing everything,” Briggs said, noting her neighborhood’s nearby pot shops, and the wafting scent of marijuana along with sidewalks littered with joints.
Dogs getting high – once a rarity – are becoming more frequent, vets say.
“The reason we’re seeing so many cases is that people are using marijuana on the street and then discarding the unwanted ends of their joints,” said Dr. Amy Attas, a New York City veterinarian.
“And that’s a real problem because dogs will eat those,” Attas explained.
Attas saw six cases of stoned dogs in the first three months of the year – the same number of cases she had treated in the previous three decades, she said.
The problem is only getting worse, and Attas pointed out that there’s not enough vets to keep up with the ongoing issue.
Canines ingesting cannabis is becoming a national problem — particularly since 21 states have legalized recreational marijuana.
There was an 11% uptick in cases last year from the roughly 6,200 cases of high animals reported in 2021 – and a 300% increase in the past five years, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Briggs said her beloved Bondi had been poisoned twice before.
“Walking him … it’s just a really intense situation. So I’m always looking on the ground, and it’s just everywhere now,” she said.
She once had to grab a joint out of his mouth.
The scary part is that owners often can’t tell Scoobie is stoned until they start showing signs of being under the influence.
It’s hardly the first time pets have been reported high. In a more extreme case, in 2021, a Labrador from New Hampshire went viral for allegedly eating a bad mushroom and reportedly having a psychedelic trip.