Fun Fact: It’s said that if you eat cabbage for the new year it’ll bring you money. Couldn’t hurt to try, right?
Think cabbage is boring and bland? Well, then you haven’t tried southern “fried” cabbage loaded with bacon and onions. This easy fried cabbage recipe will make a cabbage lover out of you.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 head cabbage, core removed and cut in strips or chopped
- 3 – 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- butter (optional)
Here’s how you make it:
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until crispy. Add the onion and cook a few minutes to soften.
- Add the cabbage and about 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is very soft, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Add a little more water if it all cooks out before the cabbage is done.
- When cabbage soft, uncover and cook until all the water has cooked out.
- Throw in a couple tablespoons or so of butter and Tabasco sauce right at the end, if using. (I put lots of Tabasco in mine, especially if I leave out the bacon.) Re-season with salt and pepper, to taste.