Posted For: Willie Wonka
By Jack Evans
One man is shown laughing while another man lifts a bag above his head, hurling it down towards the belt with force.
In another instance, one of the three handlers is shown throwing a bag a considerable distance down the line, despite the belt being right in front of him.
A Qantas spokesperson said the incident was “clearly not acceptable”, confirming an “urgent” probe was underway.
Qantas contracts Swissport for ground handling at the Melbourne Airport.
A spokesperson for Swissport said the workers involved had been stood down while they investigate what happened.
“Swissport trains and manages all staff to handle customer possessions with care and diligence,” they said.
“The actions of staff in the video appear to have contravened those service level standards.
“As a result, the staff in question have been stood down pending an urgent investigation.”
A staff note from Swissport Australia CEO Brad Moore, seen by news.com.au, warned staff of “serious disciplinary action” in the wake of Saturday morning’s revelation.
“It is with regret that I advise that evidence has emerged today of Swissport Staff handling customer luggage in an unacceptable manner,” Mr Moore wrote to staff.
“Our 3000 strong team across the network work hard to ensure these standards are upheld, and it is important that when those standards are breached by a small group of individuals that we take action.
“The behaviours in the video let all of us down – most importantly our frontline staff who have worked so hard through (Covid) to assure quality standards in at times challenging circumstances.
Mr Moore assured staff that those in breach of Swissport’s standards would be dealt with.
“Disrespectful behaviour to our customer luggage and personal effects will not be tolerated and will result in serious disciplinary action,” he said
“The individuals in the video have been stood down pending urgent investigation.”
“Since the video was released, I have received many messages from team members across the network, sharing these concerns and equally voicing their commitment to our Safety and Service standards. We cannot allow the actions of a very small minority to undermine the first class standards of the many.”
It comes after a turbulent year for the national air carrier, plagued by flight delays, cancellations and other high-profile incidents of baggage loss and mishandling, coming under the scrutiny of an ABC Four Corners investigation earlier this year.
People on social media were appalled when responding to the confronting footage.
“It’s sad, but I honestly don’t expect better from Qantas anymore,” one said.
“Is this like a competition who can destroy luggage the fastest?” another pondered.
“You got to be kidding me! Bet they would kick a stink if someone treated their stuff this way,” added another.
Others suggested the men should be sacked for what appears to be a complete disregard for other people’s property.
When are they going to get fired?” one asked.
“Looks like they don’t want to work anymore,” another said.
“I worked the baggage, and I’ve never ever seen anything like this, if I did, I would not hesitate to get a supervisor.”