Iconic Chicago company Portillo’s has not opened its first restaurant in Texas just yet — that’s coming soon. To entice fans of these Italian beef sandwiches and hot dogs, Portillo’s will park its “Beef Bus” at seven locations in Dallas-Fort Worth between Sept. 13 and 24, 2022.
The food truck will visit East Dallas, Oak Cliff, Denton, The Colony and Arlington.
The restaurant will eventually open at Grandscape in The Colony in late 2022. The company is putting a significant focus on Texas, Portillo’s CEO told The Dallas Morning News. The company expects to open 18 to 20 restaurants in Dallas-Fort Worth in five years.
Portillo’s food truck schedule in Dallas-Fort Worth in September 2022
- Dallas Arboretum at lunchtime Sept. 13 and 14, starting at 10:30 a.m. Park at Gate 4. Those who aren’t Dallas Arboretum members will pay $10 to get into the grounds.
- Harvest House in Denton on Sept. 16. Hours are 2 p.m. until dinnertime, while supplies last.
- Taste of Oak Cliff from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sept. 17 and 18. Festivalgoers have to pay $20 entry fee to get in to the event.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart in The Colony on Sept. 20. Hours are 4 p.m. through dinnertime, while supplies last.
- Truck Yard in Dallas on Sept. 21. Hours are 11 a.m. for lunch and dinner, while supplies last.
- Truck Yard in The Colony on Sept. 22 and 23. Hours are 11 a.m. for lunch and dinner, while supplies last.
- Texas Live! in Arlington on Sept. 24. Starts at 11 a.m., while supplies last.
The Beef Bus — that’s a pretty great name, no? — will sell four items: an Italian beef sandwich; a hot dog, served Chicago-style with mustard, relish, celery salt, onions, sliced tomatoes, pickle and sport peppers; and two versions of a Polish sausage. (The chargrilled Polish sausage is served like a Chicago-style hot dog with all the fixins. The Maxwell Street Polish sausage comes with yellow mustard and grilled onions.)
Dick Portillo’s restaurant started in 1963 as a hot dog stand. For decades, it was mostly a Chicago thing, but today, the company has grown to 70 restaurants in nine states, and counting.
Portillo’s is best known for the Italian beef sandwich today, says CEO Michael Osanloo.
“It is not a hot dog place,” he clarified in March 2022. “It is an Italian beef place. If people are coming to Portillo’s and they’re eating one thing, I’d say get a beef sandwich. It’ll blow your mind.”
So there’s your recommendation on what to order from the Beef Bus.