A search warrant was issued on Thursday for the phone of actor Alec Baldwin as investigators probed the circumstances of the lethal accidental shooting on the set of “Rust,” Baldwin’s latest movie.
The latest development in the investigation was documented in a court filing from Santa Fe, New Mexico, where the movie set was located.
The Oct. 22 shooting took the life of 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director 48-year-old director Joel Souza. Baldwin reportedly fired the fatal shot but later said in an interview that he didn’t pull the trigger, and that the trigger wasn’t pulled at all.
“The trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger. I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger on them, never,” said Baldwin during the ABC News interview.
No charges have yet been filed in the case, but the investigation has not yet been completed.
Detective Alexandria Hancock said in an affidavit attached to the warrant for Baldwin’s phone that officials asked the actor to voluntarily turn over the phone, but that his attorney told them to seek a warrant.
Prior to the shooting, several movie crew members walked off of the set in an apparent protest of inadequate safety standards because the production reportedly had a low budget. Baldwin was a producer of the movie as well as the star actor, which could expose him to legal liability in the shooting.
A separate report claimed that the gun used by Baldwin in the tragic shooting had been used for casual live ammunition target practice the morning of the incident.
Baldwin and his wife Hilaria Baldwin deactivated their Twitter accounts weeks after the incident.
When Baldwin was asked directly in an ABC News interview where the live ammunition came from, he said he did not know.
“I have no idea!” Baldwin blurted out. “Someone put a live bullet in a gun. A bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on the property.”
Here’s more about the tragic ‘Rust’ shooting: