Bomb Squad Rushes to Hospital After Patient Arrives with Bomb in his Butt

Bomb squad race to A&E after patient arrives with WW2 artillery shell stuck up his bottom

THE bomb squad raced to an A&E after a patient arrived with an artillery shell stuck up his behind.

Army explosives experts were scrambled after medics feared the anti-tank round could be about to explode.

The unnamed patient told doctors he “slipped and fell” on the 17cm by 6cm armour-piercing projectile taken from his private arsenal of military collectables.

It was later identified as being a World War Two 57mm shell that were typically fired from six-pounder anti-tank guns.

A source told The Sun: “The guy said he found the shell when he was having a clear out of his stuff.

“He said he put it on the floor then he slipped and fell on it — and it went up his a**e.

“He was in a considerable amount of pain. I think he collected military memorabilia.”

Police said they responded to “a report that a patient had presented with a munition in his rectum”.

A spokesman added: “The item had been removed prior to police arrival and the Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team were contacted.”

Troops from 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment rushed to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, in Gloucester.

A defence source said: “It was a solid shot round. It was a chunky, pointed lump of lead designed to rip through a tank’s armour.

“It was basically an inert lump of metal, so there was no risk to life — at least not to anyone else’s.”

The Sun doctor Carol Cooper said the patient could have died if the round had pierced his gut.

She added: “The range of objects that are pushed into rectums is incredible, from wine glasses to ketchup bottles and parts of hoovers.

“Sadly, it is an everyday occurrence in A&E — but I have never heard of the bomb squad being called out before.”

A hospital spokesman yesterday said: “As with any incident involving munitions, the relevant safety protocols were followed to ensure there was no risk to patients, staff or visitors at any time.”

The MoD said: “We can confirm an Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was called out to Gloucestershire at the request of local police.”

The sheepish patient is understood to have been released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

%d bloggers like this: