A Guy Stole Erectile Dysfunction Pills After Insurance Denied Them

Cops: Bethesda man steals $369 worth of erectile dysfunction, insomnia meds from pharmacy

A millennial, unwilling to pay hundreds of dollars for erectile dysfunction and insomnia medication, bolted out of a Giant grocery store with his coveted prescriptions in hand, Montgomery County Police allege in court documents.

Marc Shutta, 36, of the 6400 block of Bells Mill Road in Bethesda, is charged with one count of theft between $100 and $1,500.

According to court records, Shutta approached the pharmacy counter at the Giant located at 10400 Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda, near Walter Johnson High School. The pharmacist informed Shutta that his health insurance did not provide a discounted rate for his prescribed erectile dysfunction medication, and because of that, the total would be $369.39.

“Shutta snatched both prescriptions from the pharmacist, abandoned his shopping cart with groceries, and fled the store on foot beyond all available cash registers without paying for the items,” a police officer wrote in an application for criminal charges filed the following day.

Giant told police it was not interested in pursuing a criminal case against Shutta so long as the 36-year-old customer returned the stolen medication, court documents state. The investigating officer called Shutta twice on the phone to work out a mutually-beneficial arrangement.

“Shutta answered both times and hung up both times,” authorities allege. “[The officer] then left Shutta a text message using his county-issued cell phone and advised Shutta that he had until the next day’s business to do the right thing and bring the medication back to the store and at most face a trespass notice.”

Police say by 6:45 a.m. the following day, Shutta had not returned the stolen erectile dysfunction and insomnia medication, nor had he responded to the officer’s text message and phone calls.

“Shutta has clearly demonstrated a willful and deliberate action to avoid the responsibility of bringing back items that he stole without charges being pressed,” the officer wrote in his request for an arrest warrant. “In light of this, your affiant has credible reason to believe that Shutta will not willingly honor a court summons and present himself before a judge to face true concrete charges either.”

Authorities arrested Shutta in October. He was later released on personal recognizance and is now awaiting trial.

7News contacted Shutta by telephone Monday, but he did not respond to a request seeking comment. No defense attorney is listed in court documents.

According to court records, the 36-year-old is unemployed and lives with his mother, roughly half a mile from the Giant grocery store where the alleged theft occurred.

If convicted, Shutta faces up to six months in jail and up to $500 in fines.


%d bloggers like this: