This is the moment of truth. For our country. For our communities. And for our company.
What we have witnessed – the senseless deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Rayshard Brooks and far too many more – is deplorable.
And the time is now to step up and unite in the fight against racism and social injustice.
Like so many others, we’ve been reflecting, listening and learning about how to make our impact felt, not just heard. That’s why we’ve been taking time to thoroughly and thoughtfully address how we will help drive progress towards racial equality in our society.
As a company, we recognize that we haven’t done nearly enough. We must own our truth, and take responsibility to do better in every possible way by better supporting the Black community inside and outside of Morton Salt. Because we believe Black Lives Matter. And we are coming together to not only say this, but to demonstrate it each and every day through our actions.
While we do not have all the answers, we are committed to driving positive change within our company and communities. This is our promise:
- Pledge $500,000 in the next year to new and existing nonprofit partners committed to creating greater access to education, food security, and social services that support Black communities specifically, as well as other communities of color in our hometown of Chicago and beyond.
- Donate $100,000 to the My Block My Hood My City Small Business Relief Fund to address the immediate needs of small and minority-owned businesses trying to rebuild in the wake of recent unrest.
- Provide employee volunteerism opportunities with organizations that support equality and social justice in the communities where we operate.
- Connect with employees, community leaders and advocacy groups to determine how we can best support the Black community now and in years to come.
- Continue the dialogue with employees to address issues of racism and social injustice in our society, including a virtual listening tour and town hall meetings.
- Ensure that Black employees and other employees of color are better represented at all levels of our organization; this includes enhancing our recruitment efforts to strengthen our existing talent pipeline of underrepresented groups, as well as reviewing and enhancing our employment practices and policies including hiring, promotion and pay.
- Amplify Black voices in our marketing campaigns, including providing more opportunities for participation in the creative development process and increasing representation of people of color in our marketing content.
- Partner with a third party Inclusion & Diversity (I&D) expert to help us advance our I&D strategy and accelerate our journey.
- Enhance communication and training around our existing Code of Business Conduct & Ethics that defines our commitment to fostering a safe, inclusive environment, and where discrimination of any kind is not tolerated.
We recognize that we have much more work to do. But we are committed to taking steps forward to create meaningful change throughout our company and our communities.