A home cook has shared her simple recipe for the ‘easiest kind of bread you can make’ – as coronavirus continues to sweep the globe and people are unable to get their hands on food staples like bread and milk in the supermarkets.
The woman posted on Facebook, where she said you only need five ingredients to make your own delicious ‘Navajo flatbread’.
‘This is the easiest kind of bread you can make, you can eat it plain, add herbs or dust with cinnamon and sugar,’ she wrote.
‘Bread shortage? This serves six people.’
First of all, the woman said you need to mix two cups of flour together with one teaspoon of baking soda and one teaspoon of salt.
‘Mix the dry ingredients together and add most of the water and oil, adding water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough,’ she said.
Once you’ve done this, you should ‘knead’ the mix for a few minutes, and then let it sit and rest in a greased bowl for somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes.
How to make the ‘easiest’ bread ever
2 cups flour
1 – 1 1/4 cup of lukewarm water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon oil
1. Mix dry ingredients together and add most of the water and oil, adding water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
2. Knead for a few minutes.
3. Let it rest in a greased bowl for 30- 60 minutes.
4. Divide into 6 pieces and roll out on a floured until it is as thin as tortillas.
5. Cook in a pre-heated frying pan until golden brown spots appear then flip, cooking until done>
Once it has been rested, divide it into six pieces and roll it out on a floured surface until it has the thickness of tortillas.
‘Cook in a pre-heated frying pan until golden brown spots appear and then flip, cooking until it’s done,’ she said.
‘This can be made ahead and kept under a flour towel or frozen for later use.’
When you want to eat it, you can either brush it with herbs, cinnamon, sugar or butter.
The woman wasn’t the only one with a DIY recipe for make your own bread.
Another woman posted on Facebook to share her ‘best bread ever’ recipe.
‘Don’t panic if you can’t find bread in the shops, just make your own in the slow cooker,’ she wrote.
‘This is literally the BEST bread recipe ever.’
To make it, all you need is 1/2 a cup of warm water, two cups of warm milk, two tablespoons of melted unsalted butter, 1-3 tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of active dry yeast, 6 cups of whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of baking powder.
‘Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1-3 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of yeast,’ she said.
‘Wait for five minutes (no longer – mine went all over the place the first time) – it should be frothy on the top.
‘While you’re waiting, warm two cups of milk and two tablespoons of butter in the microwave.’
How to make the ‘best bread ever’
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups of warm milk
2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
1-3 tablespoons of sugar (add more if you like sweeter bread)
3 tablespoons of active dry yeast (conservative side)
6 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 cups whole wheat & 3 cups all-purpose flour)
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1. Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast.
2. Wait for 5 minutes – it should be frothy on the top. While you’re waiting, warm 2 cups of milk and 2 tablespoons of butter in microwave.
3. Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture.
4. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
5. Mix and knead the dough.
6. Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. It will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on high power for 2-2.5 hours.
After this, she said you should add milk and butter to the yeast mixer and use a standing mixer to slowly add the six cups of flour, two teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of baking powder.
‘Mix and knead the dough. Line your slow cooker with baking paper and place in your round ball of dough,’ she said – adding that it will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through.
‘Cook on high power for two to 2.5 hours,’ she said.
‘Start checking every 7-10 minutes until the top is spongey but springs back and there is no moisture on the top.
‘The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as the sides,’ she said.
14g active yeast (approx 3 level tsp or 2 premeasured sachets)
3 tbsp white sugar
Two 2/3 cups lukewarm water
1 heaped tsp salt
7 cups of bakers flour (I use ‘Defiance 5kg bakers flour’ from woolies for $10)
3 tbsp margarine/butter (I use ‘1kg Table Spread’ from woolies for $1.60)
Optional – 1 heaped tsp of ‘Wallaby’s Bread Improver’ (makes the bread a bit fluffier inside)
1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in lukewarm water in a large bowl. Stir in softened margarine/butter, salt and 2 cups of the flour.
2. Stir in remaining flour half a cup at a time beating well after each addition.
3. When dough has pulled together, turn it out on a floured surface and knead until elastic for about 8 minutes. It is normal for the dough to be very sticky at first so dip hands in flour and sprinkle flour onto the dough ball as needed.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in bowl and turn and cover in oil. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise till almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
5. Deflate the dough and turn it out into a light floured surface. Separate the loaves into 3 equal loaf logs.
6. Place the loaves into lightly oiled pans (it should fill the pan about 2/3 of the way up). Cover the pans with a damp cloth until it expand so the pan is full and generously rounded out of the top of pan, about 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 190C and bake for 30 minute or until loaf is dark golden on top. The loaf should sound hollow when you tap the bottom of it.
Others have also shared their homemade bread recipes – and revealed how they save $297 each year by getting creative in the kitchen as opposed to visiting the shops.
‘Making my own bread saves me $2.29 off the brand of bread I used to buy. This saves my family $297 per year on bread and to me store bought doesn’t compare to how great this bread tastes,’ one woman wrote on Facebook.
She said: ‘This recipe make three loaves in the Mint brand 21.5cm loaf pan sold at Woolies and its currently on sale for $4.20 each. Other loaf pan sizes may vary and therefore how many loaves you get out of this recipe mixture may vary.’
How to make savoury bread using a slow cooker
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
Two and a half cups of self raising flour
Two teaspoons of baking powder
Herbs: Italian, oregano, onion flakes, salt and pepper
A cup and a half of pizza cheese
Three tablespoons of minced garlic
One cup of diced bacon pieces
Three spring onions chopped up
1. Pre-heat slow cooker for 15 minutes on high
2. Mix a cup of milk and a tablespoon of vinegar and let it sit for five to ten minutes to thicken.
3. Mix two and a half cups of self raising flour, two teaspoons of baking powder, herbs, parmesan cheese, a cup and a half of pizza cheese and three tablespoons of minced garlic
4. Mix everything together and then add one cup of diced bacon pieces and three spring onions chopped up.
5. Slowly pour in the milk mix and mix all the ingredients together to create the dough.
6. Spray your slow cooker with oil and line it with baking paper, then place the dough in.
7. Score twice across the top then brush with an egg mixture.
8. Cover top of slow cooker with a tea towel, put lid on and back for 2 and a half hours on high.
9. You can also add more grated cheese and chives on top and brown in oven for 10 minutes once done.