A Man Had Hundreds Of Tapeworms In His Brain And Doctors Believe It Was From Eating Undercooked Pork


Doctors discovered hundreds of tapeworms living in a man’s brain and upper body after they believe he ate undercooked pork in a hot pot, according to Newsweek.

Zhu Zhong-fa went to First Affiliated Hospital of College of Medicine at Zhejiang University in China and said he had been experiencing frequent headaches for a month and even seizures. His said his local doctors had been unable to find the root of his issues.

After performing an MRI, doctors at the hospital found damage caused by tapeworms in his brain and even more worms in his upper body including his lungs and chest. Tapeworm eggs can be killed when meat is cooked to at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. When doctors asked him if he recalled eating any undercooked meat recently, Zhu said he that had eaten some pork hot pot and wasn’t sure if the meat was cooked properly. Doctors believe this could be the cause of the worms.

If you’ve never had hot pot, essentially, diners sit around a pot of simmering broth where they cook meats, veggies, and other foods by dipping them into the broth until they’re cooked.

“I only simmered the meat a little,” Zhu said in a report, according to CNN. “The bottom of the pot with the spicy broth was red, so you couldn’t see if the meat had been cooked thoroughly.”

He was diagnosed with neurocysticercosis, which is essentially tapeworms on the brain. The Newsweek report said that these worms can cause headaches, seizures, and even personality changes, while the hospital’s report said that it can also cause severe brain damage and even be life threatening.

Thankfully, doctors were able to remove the worms and Zhu has recovered.

%d bloggers like this: